Sri Lanka is a nation of welcoming people and stunning scenery. Set in the Indian Ocean, the island country of Sri Lanka has a documented history that spans over 3,000 years, and is where the soul of Buddhism did, and still does, flourish. Here are just some of the reasons why you should focus on Sri Lanka and add it to your travel wish list.
Sri Lanka is a diverse country where nature’s beauty remains unspoilt. This pearl-shaped island is home to many religions, ethnicities and languages as well as endless beaches, lush green tea plantations, national parks full of amazing wildlife, ancient cities, bustling markets and quiet colonial towns.
One of the highlights of this land is its gracious people. The main ethnic groups are the Sinhalese and Tamils, both originally from the Indian subcontinent. Whatever their situation in society, the locals possess a warm and friendly nature reflected in persistent smiling faces and eagerness to help those unfamiliar with aspects of local life.
WORLD HERITAGE LIST
UNESCO has declared eight World Heritage Sites in Sri Lanka. Explore the ruined cities of Polonnaruwa and Anuradhapura, visit spectacular Sigiriya and climb its rock fortress or discover the unique caves at Dambulla.
- Ancient City of Polonnaruwa
- Ancient City of Sigiriya
- Golden Temple of Dambulla
- Old Town of Galle and its Fortications
- Sacred City of Anuradhapura
- Sacred City of Kandy Natural
- Central Highlands of Sri Lanka
- Sinharaja Forest Reserve
Quintessential Sri Lanka
- Travel back in time to the Dutch Colonial era with a visit to the historic Galle Fort
- Observe the incredible stilt shermen on the beaches of Weligama
- Climb to the top of the Rock Fortress, also known as Lion Rock, in Sigiriya
- Spot a wild elephant or, if you are lucky, a leopard while enjoying a jeep safari in Yala National Park
- Visit the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic in Kandy, the most important Buddhist site in Sri Lanka
- Spot a dolphin while cruising off the coast of Trincomalee
- Explore the UNESCO World Heritage listed ruins of Anuradhapura, the most celebrated of Sri Lanka’s ancient cities
- Gain a unique insight into Sri Lanka’s Buddhist heritage while admiring the murals and Buddha statues at the Dambulla Rock Temple at Dambulla Lion Rock Fortress, Sigiriya
Keep an eye out for our exciting new tours to Sri Lanka in our 2017/18 brochure!
Our current range of group tours feature three itineraries exploring the must see destinations:
– 14 day Highlights of Sri Lanka
– 15 day Cultural Northern Discovery
– 15 day Pearl of the Indian Ocean